Twisty the Clown

I found this piece through a post on The Clubhouse and at my daughter's insistence had to get it to paint for her as a Christmas gift.  This is an amazing piece and required minimal prep work.  I'll make another post talking about the base on him because it took a bit to make and is very special to this piece due to the sculptor doing a drawing on the bottom of the base that I couldn't cover up.


I really enjoyed painting Twisty and began with his face.  His eyes were done using some tools that my friend Jim told me about (Finger nail polka dot tools)  These work very well to get nice round iris' and pupils with the different sizes working well to layer color shades in the iris' as well.  

The majority of the painting on Twisty was done with brushes (Windsor Newton Series 7 are my choice) and Vallejo model color and game color paints.  This was the first time I did this much brush work.  The blue around the eyes of Twisty was done with Vallejo inks thinned a little with some matte medium and then brushed on lightly before the eyes were painted.

Twisty's mask comes off to reveal his scarred face underneath and was painted in the same manner as the rest of the bust and then finished with a gloss topcoat to give it that plastic look.

This one will be going to Wonderfest this year with Belle so wish me luck with him as well.

Comments

Popular Posts